Thursday, September 13, 2012

Part of Who I Am



Ryan Zimmerman (student at Austin College):
"My German life isn’t very extensive, but the little bits of German culture that are a part of me make me who I am. My father has an entirely German ancestry while my mother has a little German on behalf of her mother. I know it seems like I should know all about German culture from my father’s side, but oddly enough everything I know about the German culture and language I’ve learned from my grandmother on my mother’s side of the family. From my grandma I’ve learnt all kinds of phrases and words, such as Dummkopf or Was ist los? (yeah, I know the first one wasn’t necessarily good for me to learn). Now that I am taking German I wish I could speak to my grandmother in the language she liked so much."

No comments:

Post a Comment